Saturday, November 11, 2006

Mother-Daughter Mayhem

Mother-Daughter Mayhem

Tomorrow is the Mother-Daughter Style Show and Luncheon. This is an annual event thrown by my daughters’ school. It is possibly responsible for more migraines, more tears, and more curse words being uttered than any other event held at the school.

The reason behind all this angst is that this event is a style show and members of the senior class are the models in the show. They throw in a child from each grade level, but don’t be fooled. This event is about the seniors and their mothers. The rest of the school is invited and they come out in droves, but they are there simply to watch the seniors be celebrated.

This year, my oldest daughter is a senior. So, we have been in the midst of all of this. Since one of my co-workers oversees the event, I have a slightly different perspective on the event than the other moms. Somewhat to my surprise this event has turned into a ‘Really Big Deal’ for us. So far we have come up with photos for the slide show celebrating the senior class and gone for fittings for the outfit my daughter will model. We have also finally gotten Sara contacts, much to her delight. I invited both Grandmothers and they will be attending with us tomorrow along with my sister-in-law (Carolyn) who will be driving my mother-in-law (aka GiGi) today. I took off work yesterday to fetch my mother from Rockport. This afternoon, after work, we have to go out and buy the right shoes (black, round-toe pumps) for Sara to wear with her outfit tomorrow. I am hoping that at some point in our expedition I will find something to wear that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, because I spent $360 on tickets for this event, plus an addition $25 for the dvd of the actual style show.

Once we complete our shopping expedition, we will be hustling back home to fix supper for all of our guests. Thankfully, Carolyn booked a hotel room for the two of them, so I don’t have to make up couches tonight.

Tomorrow morning we will get up extremely early as Sara has to report to the hotel ballroom at 7 am sharp, with freshly washed hair, manicured nails (in a shade called Merlot) and with foundation makeup on. She will be turned over to the hair stylists and make-up artists who will transform her into the vision that will appear on the runway. The rest of us will get there around 10:30. At some point in this event, Sara will take a solo turn on the runway while the MCs read something she has written about how she feels about me. With any luck, she came up with something other than her first choice, which was “She’s not completely insane.” While it’s true, it’s not exactly touch the heart material.

No comments: