Monday, January 21, 2008

This and That

Not sure how this is happening, but I'm actually updating. I have a day off from work and I should be doing stuff around the house (what is the record on waiting to take down the Christmas tree?), but I haven't posted since August and I'm long overdue.

Okay, lessee. Yes, my son's wedding went off beautifully. I did have a bit of trouble sleeping the night before the wedding, but it wasn't because I had over indulged at the rehearsal dinner or was freaking out because of doubts over what my son was about to commit to. No, I was having panic attacks over whether I was going to fit into my mother of the groom dress in the morning.

So, here's the deal. The wedding was in Seattle. We got there on Tuesday night and the wedding was Saturday morning. And this was basically a bit of a vacation for us. So, instead of exercising control, I basically ate whatever I wanted and didn't think a thing about it until I woke up sometime Friday night and the thought hit me: "What if I can't get the zipper up on the dress???"

Total freakout time. Because the dress in question, was this lovely fitted sundress in a bright coral pink that zips up the side. And in my experience, dresses that zip up the side are nightmare if you have put on that extra pound or two. What had I been thinking??? (Oh wait, I wasn't thinking, I was eating!!! Everything!!!) Now the dress did have a jacket, but let's face it, there was going to be something funky going on with the neckline if I couldn't get the damn thing to zip.

I somehow managed to make it to morning (thank you whoever invented xanax) and the first thing I did was get the dress out (did I mention that I didn't have a back-up plan/outfit?) I put it on the conventional way with the zipper on the side and got the zipper to the waistband. No go.
This was not good. Then I looked at the dress and decided it was time to get creative. I must give kudos here to whoever designed this dress for Talbots. The spaghetti straps on the dress are adjustable, ie. they have little buttonholes stiched into the back which allow you to adjust them. So, I unbuttoned the straps, swiveled the dress around so the zipper was in the front, sucked in my new, bigger gut (courtesy of the restaurants in Seattle and no common sense on my part) and got the dress zipped. I then swiveled the dress back around. Success!! I was able to get the dress on! I wasn't going to miss my son's wedding or have to go in my blue jeans.

So, here's a hint for you. If your child is getting married and you are going somewhere fabulous for the wedding and want to combine the wedding with a bit of a vacation, either don't go early and stay after the wedding, or, if you have to go up several days before the wedding, just go ahead and buy a bigger size.

The second thing I didn't expect was to cry as much as I did. And yes, I cried. I couldn't help myself. I just teared up at everything. At one point, I'm standing there with tears in my eyes and all the groomsmen are having fits trying not to laugh because Rachel's spouting more water than the batismal font/fountain in the church. Sheesh. It was embarrassing.

Seriously, though, it was a wonderful day (I must tell you about the ring bearers running around before the wedding, totally dressed except for their pants, which their normally uber-organized mother had left back at the hotel. The priest lost it when he saw them. Totally. Just started laughing and couldn't stop.) and I adore my new daughter-in-law.

More later. Really. I promise.

No comments: