Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Tragedy that Binds

When I was just 7 years old, my father dropped dead of a heart attack on a Sunday night in April. One minute he was there and the next minute he was gone. Leaving my mother with five children ranging in age from 12 to 5 months old to raise and support, along with her mother, who was completely blind. Somehow my mother did it all. She is now 87 and my sister Jane has written a tribute to her for Mother's Day that will appear in Woman's Day this May. I read the proof of the essay this weekend while I was at Mom's. It made me weep. A few of the tears were for Dad. But most of them were for Mom. I cried because Mom is being honored for what she did by the child who turned away from her at one point. It's been a long hard road for Jane and Mom. It is fitting that she be the one who gives Mom the recognition she deserves for what she did for all of us. 

Thanks Jane.

No comments: