Wednesday, January 06, 2010

My 'New' Loom



Thought I'd post a photo of the loom as it is right now. It's a Macomber B5 Add a Harness loom. Weaving width is 40 inches and it currently has 4 harnesses. I can add up to 6 more in the future, but for now I will settle for getting it working.

All I've had a chance to do to it so far is to vacuum off the worst of the dirt and debris, cut off the weaving sample that was on it and check it out. Here's what I'm going to have to do to get it into working order:

• Either replace the iron end piece on the cloth beam or replace the entire cloth beam. I'm hoping I can just get the iron part that's broken and replace that.

• Get the rust off of the reed, and various other metal parts of the loom. I've ordered some special rust removing blocks from a woodworking store for that task, though I'm sure I'll be buying naval jelly at some point for the reed. It's completely rusted. I'd just buy a new one, but I'd really like to have two different reeds for this loom which would enable me to vary the yarn I use. I like the idea of using a heavier yarn sometimes.

• Sand down the frame in spots. It's got some water damage here and there that needs to be addressed.

• Replace the aprons on the cloth beam and the warp beam.

• Replace the handle on the warp beam.

• Add more heddles.

• Replace the lease sticks. It only came with one.

• Purchase a raddle for warping the loom.

• Purchase or build an adjustable height bench.

As I get into this project, I may find more to do before it's usable. I still need to unwind and cut the old warp off the warp beam. It's a really heavy well-built loom (the original owner purchased it new in 1974 and I think it has a lot of life in it yet.

No comments: