Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Cry for Help

The eighth installment in my series about taking care of my sister Mary Claire in hospice.

Sunday, March 23, 2014
Jane and I were woken up at about 4:00-4:30 this morning by Connie, the night nurse. MC was calling for me and refusing to let Connie give her the liquid morphine. We immediately went to her and managed to persuade MC to take the morphine. But she kept saying “Help me. Help me.” And it broke my heart because I didn’t know what to do. All I know to do is to give her medicine to control the pain. And I felt that I was failing her. So, I finally just held her and told her she could go. That it would be all right. That I would be okay. And we would take care of Mom. And that Mike would be okay. And that everybody would be okay. 

I told her to go. That Daddy would be waiting for her. And it would be okay. And at some point, she calmed down and started saying, “Okay.” Over and over.

I stayed with her until morning. My sweet little sister, I hope I am right. That it will be okay.

No comments: