Tuesday, August 12, 2014

An Act of Faith


The seventh installment in my continuing series on taking care of my sister Mary Claire while she was dying. 

Saturday, March 22, 2014
One thing I’ve found out this week is that if I’m alone, I break down. And I can’t break down. Even though Mary Claire is now not as aware as she was, I need to show her that I’m okay. So, I have to stay strong and not be walking around with red eyes from crying.
This morning, Fr. Rey came and administered the sacrament of Extreme Unction. Also known as the anointing of the sick or Last Rites. When he arrived, I pretty much read him the riot act. As in, “We need to do this, but I do not want MC to be upset by it.” Because I know she is afraid. Hell, I’m afraid. She is dying. And there is nothing I can do to stop it.

She did become upset. But then, amazingly she became calm at the end.  I’ve heard of this and this is not the first time I’ve seen this sacrament administered. But I was surprised by it’s effect on her. 

I’m so tired. But I need to see this through. I need to see her through this.

No comments: