Saturday, December 24, 2016

Peace to You.

It's Christmas Eve. In the past, I've posted a Christmas wish list, which is usually a list of things, mostly political, that I want desperately to be resolved. Given what has happened this past year, I really thought I'd be posting that again. But I'm not. Despite my despair over the result of the election and what is happening to our country, I find myself focusing instead on what I am grateful for tonight.

My sister Julia reaching six months in remission from Acute Myeloid Leukemia and also the successful removal of the two melanoma tumors she had. How wonderful is it that she is in great shape despite fighting two totally different cancers this year? I am beyond grateful for her doctors at MD Anderson who have gotten her to this point. But more than anything else I am in awe of how Julia has handled everything she faced this year. An added gift is the increased closeness to her that I have and which I treasure every day.

My relationship with my sister Jane. In the past few years, with all that has gone on in my life, the losses I have faced and dealt with, never did I imagine that it would be this sister who would be my bulwark and the one I could turn to. I can only hope that I have been a tiny fraction of a similar resource for her.  

My immediate family. Last night, I was blessed to have a sleepover with my two darling granddaughters and one of my daughters. And tonight, all three of my children, my lovely daughter-in-law, and those granddaughters were at my house for dinner and Christmas present opening. Laughing and playing with them and my husband tonight, I was able to put aside the despair of the past few months and revel in the moments we shared. Tonight reminded me that, despite whatever else is going on in the world, I have children and grandchildren who are the epitome of love and understanding. And yes, I know, everyone thinks their children are wonderful. But my daughters and son truly are. I see how they interact with each other and with the world and it gives me hope.  Hope that they will be difference that changes the world. Even if it is just the tiny part of the world around them.

So, this Christmas, I wish you the peace that I have tonight. I hope that you will look around you and see the tiny, and hopefully large, joys of life. That you have that person or people in your life who are there to support you. And if, for whatever reason, you are living in darkness tonight due to whatever difficulty, that the coming year will bring you peace and joy in some form or fashion.

Merry Christmas to you all. And together, we will make a difference in the new year.

No comments: